Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Maison de Verre, Part I


Maison de Verre - The Best House in Paris
One of things I’m beyond excited about with my upcoming trip to Paris is the chance to tour the modernist masterpiece, La Maison de Verre. Are you familiar with it? I read this New York Times article about this great work about a year ago, and became instantly intrigued. 



Pierre Chareau - Maison de Verre from Not Made TV on Vimeo.

From there, I stumbled upon this captivating video, (narrated by a woman with a lovely French accent, of course), and feel in love. I decided to use this fascinating work of architecture as the precedent for my thesis project and studied it down to the last detail.  Over and over again, I was struck by the meticulous care and thought with which it was designed, and the sheer poetic awe it inspired in those that had the privilege to experience it in person.



The Maison de Verre is a private home and as such, is not open to the public. But Robert Rubin, its current owner, is an architectural historian who seems to have a soft spot for others that share his passion and vocation. To that end, limited 10-person tours are offered on Thursdays alone, and open only to those in architecture and related fields. Thankfully, the stars have aligned for yours truly, and through luck (i.e. two cancellations) and a shiny new degree in interior design, I will be visiting the Maison de Verre in person next week. Whoo-hoo!!

(Stay tuned for a full report - Maison de Verre, Part II :) 

Images: 1, 2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment