Thursday, August 16, 2012

Paris Blues, and beyond...


Last week, I stumbled upon a midday screening of Paris Blues on TCM. Have you seen it? A young Paul Newman (gorgeous), Joanne Woodward (delightful), Sidney Poitier (debonair) and Diahann Carroll (beautiful!) all shot in glorious black and white in Paris, the City of Light. I was charmed. The jazz, the budding romances, the social undercurrents - it was a truly unexpected and delightful surprise.  

I’ve always been a fan of Paul Newman’s (especially the searingly handsome young Newman) and I love seeing him and Joanne Woodward together.  And the fact that I’d never seen this particular movie, made me wonder, what other early films of his haven’t I seen? 

Turns out, there’s a bunch. And so without further ado, I am embarking upon a “Paul Newman - the Early Years" marathon. On the agenda, Torn Curtain (1966), The Young Philadelphians (1959), From the Terrace (1960), Sweet Bird of Youth (1962), A New Kind of Love (1963) and Harper (1966).

I realize there’s a chance that not one of these films will offer up the same viewing satisfaction for me that Paris Blues did. But with Newman as the lead, they can’t be all bad, right?

Have you seen many of the actor's early films? Which one is your favorite?

Images: 1, 2, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment